Formal instruction is structured by grade level. Students also participate in many school-wide activities, which foster an extremely strong student body. At MWJDS you frequently see lower and upper school students playing together at recess and older students mentoring younger ones. Each student understands the importance of respect for others.
Modern, Pluralistic & Egalitarian
MWJDS is a modern, pluralistic, diverse and egalitarian Jewish community.
All Jews are interconnected with one another, sharing a sense of responsibility, love, and respect for other Jews. The richness of Judaism is best appreciated in its multi-dimensional perspectives, variety of traditions and its stories.
We strive to ensure that our students are connected to Jewish traditions while balancing respect for the various practices of our diverse family beliefs.
Our commitment to egalitarianism, as 21st century Jews, is to provide equal opportunity for boys and girls to engage in the responsibilities and joys of Jewish life.
Our commitment to pluralism extends beyond Judaism. We intend our community to go beyond religious tolerance and to extend sincerely and openly to discover a deep appreciation for the beauty, meaning and contributions of other traditions and peoples.
External actions create internal awareness. Being Jewish is being conscious of how these values pervade all aspects of our lives—how we treat others, how we conduct business, and how we look at the world. Therefore, at MWJDS, our model community incorporates diverse practices to equip students with the tools and knowledge to enable themselves and their families to make educated decisions about their Jewish journey.
Building a trusting, open, respectful relationship with our parent community is central to the school-parent partnership and the success of MWJDS. Parents have direct access to teachers, administration, and staff including the Director of Education and the Director of Institutional Advancement, via email and phone. All communications are responded to promptly and judiciously.
MWJDS has a formal and frequent communication program to the parents and MWJDS community:
- The MWJDS Mini-Moment, our main communication vehicle is emailed each Monday to parents, staff and the broader MWJDS community. This contains important updated information regarding school activities, the week’s accomplishments, upcoming key dates, general school news and community events. To join our mailing list, please contact Solomon Rosenberg, Institutional Advancement Associate.
- Classroom blogs are updated weekly and detail the past week’s highlights and news.
- Periodic letters from the school are mailed parents.
- The Friday Family Reminders is emailed to current MWJDS parents every Friday. To be included in this mailing, please contact Solomon Rosenberg, Institutional Advancement Associate.
- The MWJDS Annual Report is published and mailed to the greater MWJDS community annually each fall.